The Brown County Health Department, Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in China and which has now been detected in the United States, including Indiana. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
Symptoms of novel coronavirus include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Like influenza, human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Respiratory droplets are released into the air by coughing and sneezing
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
The best way to protect yourself from any respiratory illness, including the flu, is to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.